Thursday, July 16, 2015

Catching up, #4

As I sat in the kitchen with my crossword, I became aware of an odd ticking clicking sound, kind of like a cricket. I looked into the dining room and saw Wilbur playing with something. Then I realized it was a critter, and then I realized it was a bat!! I shrieked and scared Wilbur away. The poor bat was injured - it tried to fly, but it could only hop. I scooped it into a box and tossed it out the door into a bush. Then I called the vet. I didn't know if Wilbur had brought it down (or one of the other cats), if it had bitten him, if it was rabid ...... The vet said that since Louie and Skootch had both had their rabies shots that week, they were protected. But since Wilbur hadn't gone in and had his shots, he had to be in QUARANTINE for SIX MONTHS! For an indoor cat, that's what I call a pass, but they told me to observe him for any abnormal behavior, and not to let him bite his brothers (HAH, he bites Skootch almost daily!). So there. I don't think the bat was rabid, but those are the rules. I even got a follow-up call from the state department of health. And in six months, I have to bring him to the vet to get his shots. Great, I can't wait.

11 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that is sure scary and we hope all will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bat in house=OMC! Wilbur quarantined=OMC! OMC! I think you and he are having way way way too much excitement. I sure am glad the HD didn't force a surrender, though! That would have been very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...that is horrific! I would have been even more of a maniac than I already am. Praying that all will be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was exciting! Unfortunately, not the GOOD kind of exciting. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. 0_0 Oh. Fu--dge, what suckage. Rabies definitely isn't anything to mess around with. Good luck keeping him from nomming on Skootch! xp I sincerely hope, for everyone's sakes, the bat wasn't rabid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. The mom says she woulda totally freaked out! We hope Wilbur is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! That's not fun! Tell him to stick to the crawly squeaky toys, not the flying type.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My! That is the kind of excitement one could do without!! I hope there isn't any repercussions! Poor Wilbur probably wonders why you freaked!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ay carumba! A bat, Wilbur...really? You certainly have a knack for giving your momma heart palpitations, but we all hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! That's the kind of excitement that nobody needs! We have our paws and fingers crossed that everything turns out okay. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. eeep, I'm so sorry. Too bad you didn't keep the bat so they could have tested him..

    I'm also surprised they didn't give Wilbur a booster vaccine.. http://www.examiner.com/article/rabies-booster-protects-pets-with-expired-shots-study-finds

    ReplyDelete